Installation/Troubleshooting Guide to the HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug Scene Capable RGB Smart Dimmer/Switch
About the Product:
- Could be configured to work as a dimmer or an on/off switch.
- Does NOT require a neutral wire (perfect for older homes).
- Includes seven individually controllable RGB LED dimmer status indicators.
- Color and blink status of LED indicators are controlled with Zwave commands.
- Supports multi-tap and press and hold event triggers up to 5 taps. (14 possible triggers)
- Supports instant status when controlled locally.
- Supports S2 Security.
- Works with Alexa and Google home (hub required).
- Easy screw terminal installation.
- Works with HS-WA100+ wall companion for 3-way, 4-way and 5 way circuits.
- Available colors are White and Almond color kits.
- Max Load: 600-watt incandescent, 300 Watt LED/CFL
RGB LED Indicators
In normal mode, LED indicators glow to reflect each circuit's on/off/dim status using a palette of 7 possible colors. Standard mode colors can be set once and left or can be programmed to change every day or on holidays, birthdays, and other special events. For example, you can program dimmers to glow green and red on holidays
In status mode, individual LEDs can be controlled to reflect the status of nearly anything in the home. For example, if it's after midnight and the garage door is left open, the 3rd LED on all the bedroom dimmers can be programmed to glow yellow (or any color). If a smoke alarm goes off, all LEDS on all dimmers can blink red. Wall switches automatically return to normal mode if no status conditions are active.
- Press the top or bottom of the paddle once - turns attached load on or off and can also trigger 2 HomeSeer events
- Press & hold the top or bottom of the paddle - dims attached load and can also trigger 2 HomeSeer events
- Press the top or bottom of paddle 2, 3, 4, or 5 times - triggers up to 8 more different HomeSeer events
Installation, Tools required: medium standard flathead screwdriver, medium Philips screwdriver, and wire cutter and stripper.
- Shut off power to the circuit at the circuit breaker or fuse box.
VERIFY power is OFF before continuing!
- Remove the existing switch’s wall plate and mounting screws. Carefully remove the existing switch from the electrical box, leaving the wires connected.
- There may be up to five wires connected to the existing switch. Make a note of these wires and label them, if necessary, to ensure the correct installation of the HS-WX300. You must match these wires with the corresponding screw terminals on the HS-WX300.
Note: LINE and LOAD wires are required for every installation. If a NEUTRAL wire is present, we recommend using that also for the best performance, particularly for dimming loads. Wires are usually color-coded for easy identification. However, colors can deviate from what’s shown in the list below, depending upon the original installer. We recommend using a multi-meter or voltage detector to verify which wire is connected to power before wiring. In general, the colors follow the convention below.
- LINE (120 VAC) - Black (connected to power)
- NEUTRAL - White (this wire is often tied to other neutral wires and may require a jumper to connect with the HS-WX300)
- LOAD - Black (connected to load)
- GROUND — Green or Bare
- TRAVELER — Red/Other (only used in 3-way circuits)
- Disconnect the wires from the existing switch and attach those wires to the HS-WX300 using the screw terminal connectors on the back with the following procedure:
- Strip 16 mm (5/8”) insulation from each wire*.
- With a screwdriver, loosen each screw terminal by rotating the screw counter-clockwise a few turns until resistance is felt.
- There are two holes on the back of the switch near each screw terminal. Insert the stripped wire into these holes and tighten the screw terminal to secure the connection. Connections should be snug. *All wires should be 14 AWG or larger, rated at 80°C or higher. The tightening torque should be 12 lbs-in (14kgf-cm). Use copper wire only.
- Carefully install the wired switch into the electrical box and reattach the trim plate.
Multi Switch (3-Way) Wiring for 2-Wire & 3-Wire Circuits
Z-Wave Inclusion or Exclusion
Follow this 2-step procedure to add (or remove) your new HomeSeer switch to (or from) your Z-Wave network:
- Put your Z-Wave controller into inclusion (or exclusion) mode. Consult your controller’s manual if you’re unsure how to do this.
- In rapid succession, tap the bottom paddle two times, then press & hold the bottom paddle for 3 seconds (tap-tap-press & hold). This will initiate the inclusion (or exclusion) process. Note: The switch will default to dimmer mode after Z-Wave exclusion.
To be used only if the network primary controller is lost or otherwise inoperable.
- In rapid succession, tap the top paddle three times, then tap the bottom paddle three times. If all LEDs flash white five times, the factory reset was successful. If not, repeat this procedure.
Note: As this must be done very quickly, we recommend using two fingers for this operation, one on each paddle!
Note: After factory reset, the switch will default to 3-wire mode and dimmer mode.
For more in-depth instructions on Installations/Troubleshooting, please refer to the manual link below:
If you need any additional assistance, please contact Rently support at 888-340-6340.